UN High-Level Meeting on NCD prevention and control
Global leaders will meet in New York from 19-20 September 2011 to chart the way forward to address the number one killer accounting for over 63% of deaths in the world today: noncommunicable diseases like heart attacks and strokes, cancers, diabetes and chronic respiratory disease.
This is only the second time in the history of the United Nations that the General Assembly will meet with the participation of Heads of State and Government on an emerging health issue with a major socio-economic impact.
Read the Political Declaration, adopted by the UN General Assembly on September 19, 2011.
|Agenda: UN High-Level Meeting on NCDs||UN Summit Side Events||Resources||Videos|
|Monday, 19th September
||09:00-10:00||Opening Plenary Session|
|10:00-13:00||Roundtable 1 – The Rising Incidence, developmental and other challenges and the social and economic impact of NCDs and their risk factors|
|15:00-18:00||Roundtable 2 – Strengthening national capacities, as well as appropriate policies, to address prevention and control of NCDs|
|Tuesday, 20th September||10:00-13:00||Roundtable 3 – Fostering international cooperation, as well as coordinating to address NCDs|
|15:00-16:00||Closing Plenary Session|
- Sept. 17, 10am - 5pm: NCD Alliance and Partners Side Event: UN Summit Civil Society Briefing
- Sept. 17, 2 - 4:30pm: The Healthy Caribbean Coalition, Get the Message campaign
- Sept 18, 6 - 8 pm: From burden to best buys: reducing the economic impact of NCDs, hosted by World Economic Forum & World Health Organization
- Sept. 19, 1:15 - 2:30pm: Side-event on targets and indicators for NCDs: "Noncommunicable diseases: what gets measured, gets done"
- Sept. 19 - 22, 1 - 5pm each day: Mashable, 92nd Street Y and UN Foundation: Social Good Summit
View a more complete list of side events compiled by the NCD Alliance or the side-event listing provided by the World Health Organization.
- Noncommunicable Diseases Country Profiles 2011, World Health Organization
- WHO event page: UN High-Level Meeting on NCDs.
- UN General Assembly. High-Level Meeting on Non-communicable Diseases.
- NCD Alliance home page
- NCD Alliance briefing paper on Access to Essential Medicines and Technologies for NCDs
- List of civil society representatives invited to participate in the High-level Meeting on the Prevention and Control of Non-communicable Diseases
- American Cancer Society's global cancer site - global.cancer.org
- Chatham House expert commentary on the UN Summit - UN Progress on Health to Hit a Wall of Domestic and Multinational Interest
- Bristol Myers Squibb Foundation list of actions and partnerships to fight NCDs (see attached below)
- World Bank report - The growing danger of non-communicable diseases
- WEF Report - The Global Economic Burden of Non-communicable Diseases
- Twitter resources:
- Follow @whadvocacy and our twitter list of NCD stakeholders
- Follow hashtags: #NCDs #UNSummit
“The summit in September in New York is our chance to broker an international commitment that puts non-communicable diseases high on the development agenda, where they belong. “
- Mr Ban Ki-moon, Secretary-General United Nations